Closing date: 28 Oct 2016
This position is funded for an initial period of one year, extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take-up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
These positions are located in the United Nations Support office in Somalia, Mogadishu. The Field Security Assistant reports to a senior Security Officer. S/he will support and assist the Chief Security Officer (CSO) and Deputy Chief Security Officer (DCSO) in the Field Mission to ensure the safety and Security of UN Staff members, UN Facilities and property in the mission area. When and if required the Field Security Assistant will provide support to the mission’s security training and planning.
Under the guidance and immediate supervision of the respective security units, the incumbent will be responsible for aspects of the day-to-day operations of UNSOM/UNSOA security and the following duties:
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provide general administrative support service in order to assist the Security Officers fulfill their duties.
· Assists with data consolidation and dissemination of relevant security information required for the analysis of the security situation by the Chief Security Officer (CSO), Deputy Chief Security Officer (DCSO) and Security Officers;
· Assists the Security Officers in the Security Operations Branch with the preparation of any security related documents including Security Plans, MORSS, MOSS, regular reports and any other reports related to the security section activities as well as providing the Operations Branch units with administrative assistance;
· Maintain updated list of all equipment in the section assigned as applicable;
· Assist in the supervision and training of guards;
· During periods of heightened security, the security assistant is to assume specific responsibilities and control of specific areas as determined and instructed by supervisors;
· For the purpose of staff accounting, conduct radio checks on daily basis and submit report and prepare/update staff list on daily basis;
· Undertake field assignments as required and to submit after action reports;
· Perform any other duties as directed by the Chief Security Officer or his/her delegate.
Professionalism: Good understanding of political, social and economic developments in Somalia and in particular the interim Banaadir region. Ability to identify and analyze political, clan and economic issues that have the potential to cause civil unrest. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders in the administration and community. Ability to develop source data collection. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faces with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjust priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
How to Apply: