Closing date: 07 Jul 2016
Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, One year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 07 July 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Cabo Verde, Czech
Republic, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Suriname, El Salvador, Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Turkey and in close collaboration with the Global Head of the Staff Security Unit (SSU) at Headquarters (HQs), with technical coordination through the European Regional Field Security Officer and in cooperation with the programme managers in IOM Turkey, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for all security and safety matters related directly or indirectly to all IOM personnel and property in Turkey.
S/he will manage the missions security unit – plan, coordinate and implement appropriate safety and security management procedures that will effectively address staff safety and the protection of IOM assets.
The Field Security Officer (FSO) Turkey, in coordination with the CoM Turkey will also be responsible and accountable for ensuring secure and safe movement related resettlement and return operations activities from Turkey and will be available to provide security advice on the operations support to the Syria emergency response based in Turkey.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Develop, plan and implement logistical strategies, related to the mission security including but not limited to the orderly movement of the Mission's resettlement and other movement programmes in close coordination with government, United Nations partners, Resettlement and Movement Management Division (RMM) and IOM Missions in the region and in the respective resettlement countries.
Maintain a positive working relationship with relevant IOM partners including Government of Turkey officials, United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS), embassies and officials of resettlement countries and United Nations partners and other key partners in the mission.
Provide accurate and up to date assessments of the unpredictable security situation in Turkey and advise CoM on how to mitigate against identified threats and risk levels. Produce a Security Risk Assessment of all IOM premises indicating the identified threats and provide recommendations to the CoM. Provide appropriate safety and security management procedures related to the safety and security of IOM staff and the protection of IOM assets in the mission.
Attend all SMTs (as an observer) and security cell meetings as a member of the in country security community. Liaise with IOMs Global Head of Staff Safety/Security Unit, regarding relevant security matters. Represent in the absence from the country of the COM, as an observer, IOM at the UNSMT meetings.
Review and monitor the level of MOSS and MORSS compliance in the various IOM offices in
Turkey and effectively address all compliance findings.
Develop and provide UNDSS safety/security briefings for IOM staff deployed to and travelling within the Mission. Ensure regular updating of staff and coordinate travel security for the Mission relating to all IOM operations.
Assist with the assessments of road, air and sea transport networks, and possible rehabilitation to meet IOM goals of providing secondary transport and logistics assistance to refugees, Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and migrants caught in crisis.
Assist in the assessment, facilitation and identification from a security perspective, of service providers, which will support IOM activities in the field.
Assist in the identification of means and implement measures to ensure and maintain a high level of staff security consistent with the principle of the Organization in respect to all types of operations.
Ensure sufficient security measures for IOM movement operations in Turkey, in coordination with the IOM Turkey Security team, taking into consideration UN Security levels of all country location and other potential risks.
Manage staff security awareness training to enable projects and programmes within the mission to enhance security attentiveness, risk knowledge and personal safety. Liaise and meet with security counterparts of the Government of Turkey on a regular basis to address security related concerns, help develop strategies and explore related opportunities as necessary.
Develop and maintain the warden system to ensure accountability for all staff in the event of a security emergency or natural disaster.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Masters degree in Political or Social Sciences, Law, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Have a comprehensive understanding of the UNSMS system and exhibit the ability to work with UNDSS in the field;
• Have a working knowledge of resettlement operations;
• Proven ability to collaborate with senior military and government counterparts;
• Demonstrated ability to manage a high degree of rational behaviour and decision making at all times irrespective of the gravity of the security environment;
• Familiarity with the European context and previous working experience in the region an advantage;
• Interfaces with the UNDSS, safety/security counterparts, relevant government agencies, and other stakeholders to prepare adequate responses to security management challenges;
• Anticipates and prepares adequate responses to matters affecting staff safety/ security;
• Displays availability outside of regular hours to respond to challenges.
Fluency in English is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How To Apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM Recruitment system, by 07 July 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM recruitment system.
From 24.06.2016 to 07.07.2016
Requisition: VN 2016/136 (P) - Field Security Officer (P3) - Ankara, Turkey (54822108) Released
Posting: Posting NC54822109 (54822109) Released