Vacancy type: Indeterminate
Salary: 4,451,298 Tenge per annum to start
Summary of position:
Under the general supervision of the Management and Consular Officer (MCO)/Mission Security Officer (MSO) with area responsibility for Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic and Tajikistan, and in consultation with other Embassy programs, GAC Headquarters and other Departments and Agencies, the Security Program Assistant assists in the implementation and delivery of the Security Program at the Mission with the objective of safeguarding mission personnel (including CBS dependents), information and assets, by:
• Performing security program operations in support of the MSO, including conducting training and daily supervision of the local guard force at the Chancery;
• Conducting research and drafting reports for the MSO on security issues affecting Government of Canada personnel, Canada based staff dependents and mission operations in the territories of responsibility;
• Assisting in the preparation and delivery of mission emergency preparedness;
• Providing facilitation and interpretation services between local language speakers and the MSO;
• Performing other duties as required.
A bachelor’s degree from a recognized University or a minimum of three years of experience working in a security and or emergency management related field (such as law enforcement, military, public or private security services, emergency fire services, emergency medical services or government).
Fluency in English and Russian (oral and written).
Applicants should clearly demonstrate in their CV and covering letter their professional experience:
• Monitoring and analyzing media or other sources of information and producing summary reports;
• Producing detailed incident reports or producing detailed reports after consulting with various sources of information;
• Developing and implementing operational plans, policies and procedures;
• Effectively prioritizing work to consistently meet objectives and deadlines in a fast paced working environment; and,
• Supervising employees and/or service providers.
• Kazakhstan current events including politics, social issues, crime and security issues.
• Various electronic search engines, and working with various Microsoft software such as: Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
• Effective interactive communication (oral & written);
• Ability to prioritize workload and multi-task effectively in a fast-paced work environment;
• Client Focus (provide quality services);
• Initiative and judgement;
• Ability to analyze and evaluate information;
• Teamwork and cooperation;
Preference may be given to candidates who have the following asset qualifications:
• Fluency in French;
• Fluency in Kazakh;
• Experience in delivering short presentations to the public;
• Experience working in pressure-filled environments;
• Previous experience working in a diplomatic mission, in a Canadian Government or Public Sector Environment or in an international environment;
• Experience using advanced features in Microsoft Excel (e.g. formulas, macros, linked worksheets and data sorting);
• Experience tracking budget expenditures and invoices
If candidates meet the factors listed in the asset qualifications they must also clearly demonstrate how they meet these factors in their covering letter.
• Ability and willingness to work overtime – occasional overtime will be required;
• Ability and willingness to travel and attend offsite meetings – travel may be required in the countries serviced by the mission;
• Copies of educational qualifications must be provided at the interview stage of this process;
• Possession of a valid passport to enable travel when required;
• Leave may be restricted due to operational requirements.
Regular working hours are 37.5 hours per week; (Mon to Fri – 7.5hrs)
Condition(s) of Employment:
• Resident in Kazakhstan
• Must be able to legally work and reside in Kazakhstan or eligible for residency in Kazakhstan;
• Must obtain and retain an enhanced reliability clearance (security clearance);
• The successful candidate must disclose to the Embassy if they hold Canadian citizenship before being employed at the Embassy or if they obtain Canadian citizenship at any time during their employment with the Embassy
Area of selection:
This position is open to locally engaged staffs of the Canada Embassy in Kazakhstan and individuals who have the right to legally reside and work in the Kazakhstan, who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date. The Canadian Government is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit.
How to apply
• Please follow the link www.wfca-tpce.com and complete the online application form. Candidates are also required to upload a CV and a covering letter. Applications which do not include all of the requested documents or information will be rejected.
• Candidates must demonstrate concisely in their cover letter how they meet the essential and asset qualifications
• Candidates are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice. They are asked to indicate their preferred official language in their application (English or French).
• Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
• Candidates who apply to this selection process should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users (some email systems block these types of email).
• Candidates selected at the screening stage will be invited for further assessment. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
• Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
• Please note that the Embassy of Canada in Kazakhstan does not sponsor work permits directly or indirectly.
• The Embassy of Canada in Kazakhstan does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
• If candidates need any special assistance in terms of attending exams or interviews then please let us know during the application process.
• The results of this competition may also be used to establish an eligibility list of staff for similar openings at the Embassy of Canada in Kazakhstan which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this competition.
• If any questions, please send us an email at RSCEMA.Personnel@international.gc.ca