Location: Mogadishu , Somalia
Closing date: 26 May 2016
SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE Open to Internal and External Candidates
Closing date: 26 May 2016
SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE Open to Internal and External Candidates
Type of Appointment Short term, six (6) months with possibility of extension under Third Party Contract
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
The SSI program in Somalia is primarily a community-based, small grants initiative implemented in close coordination with the donor, with communities in priority areas, and with all levels of Government, particularly newly formed District Administrations and regional state institutions. The overall objective of the program is to support the political transition of Somalia towards a functioning and stabilized Federal State through activities that promote good governance, consolidation of the federal structure, and a receptive environment to respond to emerging political contingencies. Under the overall supervision of the SSI Chief of Party/Program manager and under the direct supervision of the SSI Deputy Chief of party/Program manager the incumbent will assist in the implementation of SSI Third party contractor’s (TPC) safety and security policies and guidelines. The Chief of Mission remains primarily responsible for all issues of Security and fraud across IOM Somalia. The Security assistant is expected to develop and share with staff the ‘SSI Security Plan’. This will include providing consistent and frequent information, analysis and strategic recommendations to the program management regarding Mogadishu and its environs as well as other programmatic areas.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment.
Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The Security Assistant responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
1. Oversee and monitor SSI activities in Diinsoor/Baardhere district in coordination with Support the implementation of SSI’s security plan, by remaining conversant with local security situation and advising the Chief of party/Deputy Chief of party on safety and security issues in the assigned fields of responsibility, All security advice and updates should be shared with the Chief of Mission as the primary responsibility holder for Security including Fraud;
2. Ensure that security administration activities (staff travel/movement management, staff lists etc.) are properly maintained and archived for future access if required;
3. Establish relationships with a broad network of key informants to complement security information provided by other sources. Report on information provided, making reference to the reliability of the sources;
4. In collaboration and liaison with the Local Security Assistant (LSA) in Mogadishu, conduct initial and periodic follow up physical security surveys of SSI offices, security protocols, (mandatory TPC Security training) vehicles and staff residences to ensure compliance to Minimum SSI TPC security standards. Take an active role in the development and implementation of evacuation/emergency security plans in coordination with LSA when required;
5. Efficiently monitor the local security situation and reports significant events/incidents in a timely manner to the appropriate management/staff using prescribed reporting forms and modalities. Ensure the reports are disseminated in a timely manner to the appropriate TPC and offices;
6. Maintain an orderly and secure filing system for all security files updated level of communication documentation and files;
7. Establish, Monitor, support and comply with standard operating the Warden system for TPCs in Mogadishu, Baidoa and Kismayo. Related to this, actively monitor security risks for TPC staff during high risk periods, including evening movements and commuting to work. Make recommendations to ensure such activities mitigate security risks;
8. Supports in investigations and reports security breaches/incidents within the SSI project and staff to the Chief of Mission and the COP/DCOP while ensuring strict confidentiality;
9. Monitor the contracted security guards for all SSI offices and premises and ensures that posts are manned at all times through the guard field supervisor. Trains security guards on appropriate procedures relating to the safety and security of the SSI offices and premises, staff, assets and vehicles. Reports substandard performance of the guard service or individual guards to SSI management for appropriate action;
10. Control and track SSI security assets and, where necessary the issuance and return of those assets. Ensure there is proper maintenance of SSI security assets;
11. In collaboration with FSO/LSA in Mogadishu ensure that all staff complete mandatory security training as required (e.g. Basic and Advance Security in the Field online training, SSAFE etc.);
12. Coordinate and consult with FSO/LSA in Mogadishu on areas FSO/LSA have technical knowledge and information in matters related to security in Somalia;
13. Actively support the Reporting and Communications unit by feeding in security information from multiple sources that can be considered in program decisions;
14. Perform such other duties as may be assigned Required
Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor degree or equivalent in social science, security studies, law enforcement or certified graduation from military/police academy;
2. Computer literacy with a high degree of proficiency in commonly used applications such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel is required;
3. Training in emergency and disaster response is an added advantage;
4. Knowledge of the UN radio system and the use of its related equipment.
1. At least 3 years’ experience in the rank of NCO and above in the armed/police forces with at least 2 years relevant experience with an international organization;
2. Good political, security and social knowledge of the country;
3. The ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with others with diverse professional backgrounds is required. The ability to handle a heavy workload efficiently with minimal supervision and understanding the importance of close teamwork is highly regarded. In security/emergency services dedication to one’s duty is paramount and flexibility and commitment to these duties in an emergency will be expected and appreciated;
4. Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations;
5. Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners;
6. Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country or regional objectives
7. Strong leadership skills and the ability to resolve complex issues.
Fluency in English and Somali is required.
Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; Page
Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Other Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable. Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How To Apply
How to apply: Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No) with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to:email@example.com
Closing Date: 26th May, 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Email available to Subscribers/Members ONLY