Employer: United Nations Population Fund(UNFPA)
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Preferred Experience: 3 to 10 Years
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
The Regional Security Specialist is responsible for advising on safety and security of UNFPA staff, project personnel, their eligible dependents present at duty stations within the Africa region as well as assets and operations of the Organization, as follows:
• Provide guidance and assistance to the Regional Director, CO Representatives on all elements of their respective responsibilities in accordance with UNFPA Security Policy, and the UN Security Accountability Framework.
• Conduct security Assessment missions and respond to Regional Office (RO) and Country Office (CO) requests for assistance to include extensive travel to UNFPA offices within respective regions.
• Assess the security related preparedness of UNFPA ROs, and COs and formulate appropriate solutions to overcome problems with the implementation of security measures relating to the safety and security of UNFPA personnel.
• Assess the level of MOSS compliance of ROs and Cos and provide guidance/support for offices to achieve MOSS compliance.
• Assess the security related preparedness and compliance of UNFPA COs (including affiliated outlaying offices) and advise on appropriate solutions to overcome gaps and problems with the implementation of security measures relating to the safety and security of UNFPA personnel.
• Assist Regional Director and CO Representatives with Security Planning and Emergency
Preparedness in accordance with the country specific security requirements including, UNFPA’s participation in the Emergency Communications System.
• Liaise with UNDSS and agency security advisers/officers to promote information exchange to enhance coordination and implementation of security management arrangements.
•Participate at the Security Cell meetings at the duty station and SMT (but not as the representative of the Regional Director), and should not duplicate or substitute the day-to-day services to be provided by UNDSS.
• In consultation and under direction of OSC, develop and implement a specific UNFPA security training programme in line with current UN security training programmes to ensure that managers stay current on their roles and accountability, latest policy and methodology, risk management, security awareness and related topics.
• Assess requests for funding from respective ROs and COs and make recommendation to Chief, OSC HQ in respect of allocation of funding for security related expenditure.
• Assist in providing technical clearances for UNFPA Country Offices/premises and or for security related equipment.
• Maintain an up to date Regional Dashboard, indicating levels of MOSS compliance for offices and personnel, i.e mandatory security trainings.
Undertake any other tasks as directed by the Chief, OSC.
• Advanced university degree in social or political science, law or public administration or equivalent formal training in security and risk management such as military and/or police command staff college.
Knowledge and Experience:
• 7 years command experience in a police, military or senior corporate security management position.
• Two years of field experience as a United Nations Field Security Officer, Chief Security Officer or Agency Security Officer.
• Direct experience in the United Nations Security Management System with proven crisis management capabilities.
• Knowledge of UN Security Management System, policies, practices and procedures.
• Fluency in English both spoken and written required.
• Fluency in French, both spoken and written would be an asset, but not required for this post.
URL for CV Submission:
https://erecruit.partneragencies.org/psc/UNDPP1HRE/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_... (link is external)
Apply By: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 00:00