Location: South Sudan
Requisition/Vacancy No. 114263BR
Introduction: AECOM International Development implements the Viable Support to Transition and Stability (VISTAS) program for the USAID Office of Transition and Conflict Mitigation (OTCM). The VISTAS program designs and implements activities with local partners through an in-kind grant mechanism to enhance peace and stability. These activities take place in strategically selected areas where localized conflict has the potential to escalate into destabilizing violence. Through these activities, VISTAS supports South Sudan’s transition to early recovery and the establishment of a foundation for sustainable development. In support of these goals, VISTAS: promotes the emergence of responsive, effective and inclusive civil authorities; supports inter- and intra-ethnic engagement in peace processes; enhances dialogue with civil authorities; builds the capacity of local government and vulnerable communities to engage in productive socio-economic activities; and supports emerging political processes at national, state, and local levels.
Background: The selected candidate will function as the primary point of contact in country for security matters related to AECOM International Development and will oversee and coordinate security efforts across the VISTAS program in South Sudan; establish security standards, and identify and implement practical and effective security practices and procedures in line with AECOM minimum operating standards.
This role is a unique support function requiring the level of in-country experience that can build local contacts and establish a tactical level information network that helps better protect the program and its staff. It is expected that this role will establish and maintain effective, robust, but realistic security management procedures that help to ensure the continual success of the VISTAS program in what has recently become a more complex operational environment since the events of December 2013.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Full operational responsibility for planning, preparation, implementation and oversight of staff and organizational security in South Sudan VISTAS.
• Develop a strategic security plan to include well-tested security standards, policies, procedures and guidelines relevant to AECOM International Development with specific consideration given to the nuanced work required under USAID/OTI contracts.
• Identify protection goals, objectives and metrics consistent with the company’s strategic security plan.
• Conduct full threat, risk and vulnerability assessments of operations.
• Manage the development and implementation of country security standards, policies, procedures and guidelines in keeping with AECOM’s overall security policies to ensure ongoing maintenance of security and protection of the company’s personnel and physical assets.
• Oversee the development and implementation of emergency management plans and integrate them with existing business continuity plans.
• Assist senior management and project managers in the assessment and management of internal and external threats.
• Assess and evaluate the capability, cost and performance of local security service providers.
• Work with key staff to prioritize security initiatives and spending based on appropriate risk management and/or financial methodology as well as ensures budget inclusion of security costs.
• Maintain relationships with local authorities and other related South Sudanese contacts.
• Conduct internal investigations as requested by senior management.
• Work with outside consultants as appropriate for independent security advice and guidance.
• Establish and maintain functional relationships with the Chief of Party, DCOP, Operations Director, and RPM’s.
• Develop the Security Department in Juba as well as ensure focal points in field offices follow and enforce security rules; this will include the building and management of a team and the matrix management of resources in the lines of business.
• Identify security (including first aid) training requirements, developing and delivering courses where appropriate.
• Assist with the management of site security and safety systems to identify any deficiencies.
• Implement and assess the security communications platform.
• Create and implement with the CoP a traveler/newcomer security briefing.
• Coordinate operational support to deployed assets, including incorporation of security context input prior to, and during, tasks.
• Provide a weekly report to the CoP.
• Make regular recommendations for continuous improvement and constant security enhancement.
• Development of evacuation and emergency medical plans.
• Experience with operationally focused USAID/OTI-or similar delivery organizations.
• Be an articulate and persuasive leader who can serve as an effective member of the senior management team and be able to communicate security-related concepts to a broad range of technical and non-technical staff.
• Be able to quickly establish effective relationships with peers in the same field and work as a team member as well as team leader.
• Have a working knowledge of pertinent laws and demonstrated contacts within the security community.
• Have a solid understanding of threat assessment.
• Have experience with emergency, crisis management and business continuity planning, training and implementation.
• Must have strong management experience preferably with some experience working successfully in a matrix environment.
• To have a positive and constructive approach to security implementation, able to offer reasoned, business-enabling solutions to problems.
• Oral and written fluency in English mandatory.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• High level of organizational skills and time management.
• Knowledge of computer systems and their applications.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work as part of a larger team.
• Proactive work ethic.
• Ex-military, police or security services preferable with at least 10-years of service in the relevant security sector.
• Experience in South Sudan with solid understanding of South Sudanese geography, conflict and actors is highly preferred.
• Masters degree preferred in a relevant subject or equivalent experience.referred in a relevant subject or equivalent experience.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow.
AECOM is an equal opportunity employer and Minorities, Females, Veterans, and Disabled persons are encouraged to apply. For further information, please clickhere to view the EEO Is The Law poster.