Oct 29, 2015

Security Manager – Remote Mining Operations

Employer: PanAust - Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation
Location: Laos

Job description
Join a leading mining company in Laos
Lead all aspects of security and loss prevention to best practice standards for our remote mine site operations
Live in Laos and enjoy a fabulous expatriate lifestyle – attractive drive in, drive out roster from Vientiane Capital

This position reports to the General Manager, External Affairs & Site Support, who has oversight of a range of shared services functions that support our Lao business. As Loss Prevention Manager, you will lead a team of approximately 200 security officers and investigators to protect company property and assets, as well as the 3,000 plus employees and contractors working in country. You will be responsible for physical security and investigations for two mine sites including camps, two logistics facilities, regional office and exploration areas, working with local police and the Lao People’s Army as required. While the function is relatively mature, there is opportunity for you to continually drive improvements to reach world’s best practice standards. As such, a key initial focus is to lead a review of existing standards and procedures and to embed recommended improvements into security operations.

Your outstanding leadership and coaching skills will be critical to the ongoing development and performance of the relatively inexperienced, but very keen and willing, local Lao workforce. This is an excellent opportunity for someone with a military or police background with mining security experience to truly make a difference at a dynamic operation.

Your key responsibilities will include:

Manage the Loss Prevention function and provide effective leadership to all staff within the department
Develop and implement monitoring systems for the Loss Prevention Department’s performance to ensure Company standards are met and continuous improvement is achieved
Undertake internal audits and implement recommendations from external audits
Develop, implement and update security procedures as required
Lead and motivate staff and plan their training to improve their performance and develop their skills
Mentor and coach senior Lao security personnel to ensure rapid development and enhancement of skillset
Ensure compliance with the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights
Review security related investigation outcomes and reports
Respond, in a leadership capacity, to any emergency situations should they arise
Act as a leading member and a subject matter expert in crisis management training and real-time events
Prepare weekly, monthly and ad-hoc reports as required
Leading the departmental annual planning and budgeting process
Whilst on site, provide a 24/7 point of contact for security emergencies.

Desired Skills and Experience

Tertiary qualification in a relevant field is highly desirable
Extensive operational security experience gained from a military or police background
Previous experience in a security leadership role at a remote mining operation in a developing country is essential
Solid knowledge and application of physical security principles including the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights
Investigations experience or previous oversight of the investigations function
Highly effective leadership skills with proven success at manager level
Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with the ability to work with a range of internal and external stakeholders
Unquestionable integrity and commitment to safety

For questions regarding this position or our recruitment process, please contact Lisa Harmony on +856 (0) 21 268 000.

Apply Online
About this company-PanAust is a copper and gold producer in Laos with pre-development opportunities in Laos, Papua New Guinea and Chile.PanAust’s producing assets are the Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation and the Ban Houayxai Gold-Silver Operation; both are located in the Company’s prospective 2,600 square-kilometre Phu Bia Contract Area in Laos.In Papua New Guinea, PanAust holds an 80 per cent interest in the Frieda River Copper-Gold Project with the remaining 20 per cent held by Highlands Pacific, a company incorporated in Papua New Guinea. Frieda River is one of the largest known undeveloped copper and gold deposits in the world and offers PanAust excellent potential for the establishment of a long-life operation.The strategic direction of the Company is to maximise returns from its producing assets while advancing pre-development projects that offer potential to sustain and grow the business in the long term.