Employer: United Nations Mission in the Republic of South Sudan
Location: Juba , South Sudan
Closing: 19 August 2015
This "Recruit from Roster" job opening is only open to roster applicants who are already placed on pre-approved rosters, following a review by a United Nations Central Review Body. Only roster applicants who were placed on rosters with similar functions at the same level are considered to be eligible candidates. Eligible applicants receive an email inviting them to apply. Rostered applicants are encouraged to apply only if they are interested and available to take up the position at the duty station/s specified in the Job Opening. Applying to this job opening carries an expectation to accept the offer, if selected.
Org. Setting and Reporting
"This position is located in the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS). The Close Protection Coordination Officer at FS4 level reports to the Close Protection Coordinator on all close protection operations and related issues"
Within delegated authority and under the general supervision of the Principal Security Adviser (PSA) the Close Protection Officer at the FS-4 level will carry out the following functions:
• Conducts close protection operations for a Senior UN Official;
• Remains within the proximity of the Senior UN Official at all times and implements mitigating measures to preserve his/her security, safety and well-being;
• Remains vigilant and alert in case of threat to the Senior UN Official;
• Maintains effective and efficient security coverage for the working office and personal residence of the Senior UN Official;
• Conducts close protection operations as outlined in the UN close protection policies and guidelines;
• Coordinates activities with relevant parties to include the Security Operations Unit and other appropriate security organizations as required;
• Co-ordinates with local authorities during close protection operations;
• Conducts advance work and implement pre-established security arrangements;
• Contributes to pre-deployment briefings;
• Operates all close protection equipment to ensure equipment readiness;
• Assists in training session on close protection subjects to keep abreast with current tactics and techniques;
• Whenever necessary, supervises the Close Protection Unit drivers in the performance of their assigned duties;
• Contributes to making determination of equipment, facility and supply needs based on operational requirements;
• Perform any other duties as required.
Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
• Close Protection and Security Officers in the mission and other UN agencies
• Staff in the Office of the Senior UN Official
• Staff in the Mission Support Division
• Representatives of mission Military and Police components
• Project Managers and other project personnel
• Local Security Officials
• Security Officials of other National and International Agencies / Organizations
• Professionally competent close protection operations within the mission, which meets the needs of Senior UN Official and the Close Protection Officer (Team Leader).
• To provide the proper implementation of the SOPs in accordance with the UN standards in close protection
Excellent knowledge of close protection tactics and techniques combined with a solid background of military, police or security specialization; able to recognize and appropriately react to threats; ability to effectively deal with stress factor when encountered in close protection operations; Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Technological Awareness:
Ability to use various technology, weapons and security devices pertinent to the roles and responsibilities of the close protection unit; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the close protection; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
High school diploma or equivalent technical or vocational certificate
• A valid driver’s license is required
• Completion of an international, national or commercial close protection training is desirable
• UNDSS Close Protection Officer Certification (CPOC) is highly desirable
• High standard of physical fitness is desirable
• Training in martial arts and/or specialized security practices is an asset.
• A minimum of six years’ experience with high school diploma or equivalent of experience in the military, police or security management is required.
• A minimum five years of progressively responsible experience in close protection with a national, private or international security organization is required.
• At least one year experience and exposure at the international level and in a conflict or a post conflict environment is required.
• Experience and proficiency in the use of close protection weapons, communications, surveillance equipment, and vehicles is required
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position(s) advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by an informal interview
United Nations Considerations
Candidates will be required to meet the requirements of Article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter as well as the requirements of the position. The United Nations is committed to the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity for all its human resources, including but not limited to respect for international human rights and humanitarian law. Candidates may be subject to screening against these standards, including but not limited to whether they have committed, or are alleged to have committed criminal offences and/or violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the At-a-Glance on "The Application Process" and the Instructional Manual for the Applicants, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of inspira account-holder homepage.
Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work experience, and language skills. Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted. Applications cannot be amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at midnight (New York time) on the deadline date.
How To Apply: